Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Always Appreciate What You Have

Always Appreciate What You Have!
The call to bar ceremony remains the best day of every lawyer's life. Indubitably so! The joy accompanied is hard to put in words. With the presence of family, friends, well wishers, the indifferent ones and of course enemies in friend clothing, an inductee lawyer really does feel like a King.
In the hall, I sat surrounded by four stunning ladies.Yea, just the way I like em! (I couldn't possibly wish for a better position).With the prettiest right opposite me. As expected, I broke the silence with a calm, boss like exchange of pleasantries and ushered in an suitable topic for conversation. With that, I sat back to listen while she took up the discussion. I listened or at least pretended to be listening. Suddenly she picked her phone and began to yell in Igbo language into the mouth piece. From my little understanding of Igbo language I could quickly tell she was furious with her dad for not making it into the hall before the doors were shut.
While her 'phoneversation' went on, I treated myself to a view of the full auditorium and the sea of heads of friends and family members of the the inductees. At that point, I could feel a cloud of emotion and maybe tears gathering in my head.
Just as it gained momentum I shook my head as if to reassure myself I had to be a man! She beckoned on me and informed me of the fact that her dad had come all the way from Enugu state but still could not make it into the hall. In her words, "he shouldn't have bothered at all"!
Almost angrily, I whipped out my phone and showed her a text message I had sent to my sister earlier when I felt cloudy with tears. It read;
'Just got into the hall now, about to start.
Wish daddy was alive to see this'
Abruptly, she dropped my phone with tears in her eyes and began to sob. So bad she made quite an embarrassing scene for me, as I parried several questions as to what I did to her. Sadly, I lost my white handkerchief in the event too! She picked her phone again and called her dad, saying in Igbo language "Daddy, biko ewe ne iwe o, nga kpo gi ayi puta na ebaa". Translation; "daddy, please, I'm sorry, do not be offended, I'll call you as soon as we leave this place". 
As she dropped her phone, she looked like at me remorsefully and mumbled, "I'm really sorry". I shrugged in acceptance.

Morale? Sorry, that's yours to deduce!
by Ehiwuogwu Onyeka for www.zeustelescope.blogspot.com

2 comments: